Monday, March 29, 2010

A Well Stocked Pantry

I received a request to write about helping the novice cook. I thought about that request and it would have been easy to write about different techniques or simple recipes. But, then I thought about what I wish someone had told me when I first got the cooking bug.

 Once you get bitten by the cooking bug, you’re going to want to become the best you can be and eat the best you can make a soon as possible. If you buy yourself a piece of fish, beef, chicken or pork, you can take it to Italy, Ireland, China or Marrakesh just by using certain herbs or spices from your pantry. That is what I find exciting about cooking.


But to be able to do that, one needs a well stocked pantry. It is the most important things to have. However, when I started I wondered what went into this pantry. Over time and plenty of trial and error, I have created a list that I consider is a requirement for a well stock pantry. Everything that is on this list is in my pantry. With these Items I can create any meal that I want and if I am pressed for time, I can make a fast, delicious, and nutritious meal that my children love.


I know that this list seems large but I say go and buy everything on it. It will not cost you an arm and a leg and it lasts for months. These items sit in your pantry waiting for you to use. Having these basic items allow you to do anything you want to your food. The rule that I live by is there should be enough in your stores to feed you and your family if you get snowed in….so stock up!


One thing I want you to remember that there is nothing low quality about canned tomatoes, canned tuna, or frozen vegetables and fruits. I use frozen vegetables as much as I can because you can now by them already diced. In fact Kroger® now carries frozen vegetables mixtures of onion, celery, and carrots, the classic mire piox of French cooking and the mixture of onion, green peppers, and celery, the holy trinity of Cajun cooking, that makes preparation time a breeze.


Let’s take a look at the list:



Basic Spices:Frozen Stuff:Canned Stuff:
Sea SaltPeasCrushed Tomatoes
Table SaltGreen BeansDiced Tomatoes
Black PeppercornsSweet CornTomato Paste
Dried ChiliesFruitsGarbanzo Beans (Chick Peas)
NutmegShrimpCannellini Beans
Ground CinnamonReady Made Pie CrustsBlack Beans
Dried OreganoFilo PastryKidney Beans
Fennel SeedsPuff PastryBlack Beans
Coriander SeedsTuna (Oil or Water)
Cumin (Ground or seed)Coconut Milk
Chili PowderOlives
Five Spice PowderAnchovies
Paprika (Sweet and Smoked)
Oils and Vinegars:Baking Stuff:Other Stuff:
Extra Virgin Olive OilAll-purpose FlourDijon Mustard
Olive OilSelf-rising FlourWhole Grain Mustard
Canola or VegetableBread FlourYellow Mustard
Sesame Seed OilWhole Wheat FlourDried Pasta
Peanut OilCornstarchEgg Noodles
Red Wine VinegarBaking PowderQuick-cook Couscous
White Wine VinegarDried YeastBasmati Rice
Balsamic VinegarSuperfine SugarBrown Rice
Brown SugarNuts (Your preference)
Powdered SugarMixed Seeds
Unsweetened CocoaSaltine Crackers
OatmealBroth (Chicken, Beef, and Vegetable)
Maple SyrupJarred Pesto
Curry Paste
Soy Sauce
Ketchup
Tabasco Sauce
Steak Sauce
Mayonnaise


I feel this list will allow you to create any type of dish that you wish.  There are spices for Mediterranean, Chinese and Indian cuisines, there are basic ingredients to bake bread, create a wonderful marinara sauce which to serve over pasta, or create a wonderful soup.  Once you know what is in your pantry, your refrigerator, and freezer, you will never again wonder if you have anything for dinner.  Your problem now will be with all these choices what should I make for dinner?

1 comment:

  1. That is a great list of things to have on hand!

    ReplyDelete